Development Environment Setup

Today I installed the Moodle Learning Management System (LMS) on my company website to prepare for the migration of my first BICC Learning Management Center course that should be done by December.

My hosted site was on the Microsoft Windows platform and because Moodle only runs on Linux it was a little more work than I had anticipated. I had backups of my website and original blog so I decided to move ahead with the migration. It was time to update my website anyway given that it was designed in Flash and won’t run on the IPhone or IPad.

I don’t have a lot of time to spend on my website and have found that my blog has been a better format for communications so I’ve decided to combine the two in order to streamline my workload. I also decided it was time to integrate WordPress and Dreamweaver on my local development server which meant setting up a WampServer and the databases needed to support WordPress development and eventually a Moodle database as well.

For a while now I have had a subscription with a training site www.lynda.com which I highly recommend. The monthly fee isn’t that steep and there are endless sets of training videos and most are fairly high quality. I used the site for the server setup which is something that I will rarely have to do and I found the step by step instructions extremely helpful.

The whole undertaking took about 5 hours from start to finish and another hour or so to restore the course from a backup and blog entries from backup.

The environment is now ready, well before the course completion date and because it’s ready early I will be able to do some additional course design testing that I may not have been able to do on the UBC site.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *